Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Jesus: the cover-up

No broadcast, no festivities, no coverage whatsoever...
Instead, it happens in the dead of night when nobody's around...?
Why? Isn't this meant to be the turning point of the history of creation?
Sounds like someone's covering something up, or trying to get away with something. But why? What? And guess who screwed it up?


________________________________________­­_____

It suddenly occurred to me a few months back: the 40+ years-later accounts we have of the morning of Jesus's resurrection sound exactly like the way things would have played out if Jesus had wanted NOBODY to know about it. Curious. Why would THAT be? But then when you think about the insane theology behind it - it's actually no wonder. I think I know what happened. Here's my theory.
___________________________

At times in the past few weeks, especially the last two weekends, I've actually sympathized with those who ask me why the hell I would spend so much time and energy on doing something like this. There are lots of reasons, and somewhere amongst them are things like simply the pleasure of creating something as close to as I'd imagined it as possible. Others have to do with simply the fact that this stuff is important to me- this insane religion really can control people's lives, and I find meaning in sharing the good news: it's a bunch of crazy bullshit that you are free to relieve yourself of at any time.
I'm thinking of this as a "concept-piece". It was quite fun and challenging to write and turn into a coherent narrative. It ended up longer than I'd wanted, and I may have bitten off too much to chew through, with all the "But you don't have a basis for objective morality" stuff,... but whatever. I just wanted to bring the idea to fruition. Doing so has reminded me of how much I enjoy it, but also of what an incredibly time-consuming pursuit it can be. Wow, I'm spent. See you again in 2015. No- 16.

______________________________

Whoops: at 1:31 I invented a new book of the bible called 12 John. Please just subtract 11 from it.
______________________________


Twitter: www.twitter.com/nonstampnsc

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...